Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Muted Song

I don’t have anyone, but silence
To greet me, open the door
And usher me into the night
My voice drifting, lost
In haunting tunes of a forgotten night
Sozzled by tears, numbed by pain
A pang of pain shoots up my body
A weary soul harkens for the past
A whitewashed room, smelling of shiulis
Ma in her blue saree, her mouth mumbling incantations
But now, I don’t have anyone but silence
But I’ll make do with that
Don’t you dare break the stillness
Of the night, like her placid face
The first time we met
She said I was ugly
That night, it was silent
Her laughter shattered the dark
Breaking it into bits
But now, even the sound of my breath
Betrays my senses
Spitting at me, my impotence
Now I have none but silence
To sit by my side
To keep me company.

Published in 'melange' (The Sentinel) on the 19th of July, '09

No comments:

Post a Comment